Math 481/581, Assignment 1
Deadline: January 27, 2005
- To gain access to a computer system with a working LaTeX2e.
- To create a simple LaTeX file with a text editor.
- To learn how to run the LaTeX program.
- To produce DVI and PostScriptfiles out of the DVI file.
- Create a short LaTeX input file, named aboutme.tex containing the author
and title. Make sure to put your name as the author. Do not include
any private data, like SSN or Student ID.
- Add a section in your document entitled About me. The
section should contain a few paragraphs, in which you summarize your academic
goals. This should be under half-a page.
- Add a section entitled My favorite math formulas. Add
several equations of your choice. Make sure to include a numbered equation
and an unnumbered one. Make sure that your equations contain the following
- A fraction
- A power
- A sum with both limits
- An integral with both limits
- The infinity symbol
- A matrix
- Greek letters, like π, α, etc
- A math function like sin, cos, ln
- A bibliography of math textbooks that you have head in your Math courses
- Create the DVI file aboutme.dvi with the latex program.
- Create the PostScript file aboutme.ps with dvips.
- Create a zip archive named aboutme.zip, containing the three files
(aboutme.tex, aboutme.dvi, aboutme.ps).
What to turn in?
The zip archive aboutme.zip should be e-mailed to the address at the bottom
of this page as an attachment.
Important: The subject line of your e-mail must be:
A note on grading
You will receive feedback on the assignment if necessary (typically, if something
does not work or if a part is missing). The assignment will not receive a
separate grade, but it will be considered a part of the first project.
Marek Rychlik <email@example.com>
Last modified: Wed Aug 27 19:41:25 MST 2003